Welcome to Parenthood. Caring for a new life is a big responsibility. It is okay to be feeling totally overwhelmed. Having a baby is a life-changing experience, it is important that you prepare for the steps after you take your baby home.
Bonding with your newborn is the most important communication you will have with your newborn. Singing, gentle touch and cuddling are a few important examples to help your newborn feel safe and secure.
It is also important to listen to your health provider about concerns to be aware of in the first weeks. Some topics to discuss are weight loss, sticky eye, rashes and when you should seek medical help.
Here is a checklist to help you prepare for your first few weeks:
- Find a pediatrician
- Research the benefits of breastfeeding
- Research how to settle a crying baby
- Prepare some meals that can go in the freezer
- Make a list of important phone numbers in case of emergency
- Stock up on essential baby items
- Decide on arrangements for your pets
- Take some time for yourself before baby arrives
- Learn CPR for infants and children
- Take Parenting Classes: These classes teach you the basics about baby and childcare, discipline and how to have healthy relationships, among other essentials. View our programs to discover more about Obria’s Expectant Parenting and Optimal Health Coaching.