What you should know about STDs during the holidays!
It may be the holiday season, but sexually transmitted diseases don’t take a vacation, and they often come as a surprise! That’s not such a nice gift, is it? Some infections, like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomonas may have no symptoms at all. And, some infections like herpes, HIV, and hepatitis B are incurable – the gift that keeps on giving, so to speak. Protect yourself from these unwanted “gifts” this season by making wise sexual decisions. The very best way to protect yourself is to make a decision to NOT have sex right now. YOU are a gift to this world, treasure and protect this gift by keeping yourself safe!
Obria offers testing for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, and Trichomonas as a “Full Panel” package, or individual tests as desired. HIV testing is always free!
Call or Text 770-338-1680
Empowered with Consent
Consent is a clear “yes” to sexual activity. Not saying “no” does not mean you have given consent. To consent means that:
- You are able to say what you want to do.
- You are sober (not under the influence of alcohol or drugs).
- You know and understand what is going on (you are not unconscious or blacked out or intellectually disabled).
Sometimes you cannot give legal consent to sexual activity or contact. For example, if you are:
- Threatened, forced, coerced, or manipulated into agreeing.
- Not physically able to (you are drunk, high, drugged, passed out).
- Not mentally able to (due to illness or disability).
- Younger than 16 (in most states) or 18 (in other states).
- Consent is an ongoing process, not a one-time question. If you consent to sexual activity, you can change your mind and choose to stop, even after sexual activity has started. Past consent does not mean future consent.
Thrive while Co-Parenting during the Holidays
Holidays can be stressful enough, but sometimes that stress can be compounded by trying to navigate the season while co-parenting.
Three tips to remember:
- Plan ahead. You will be more prepared (and therefore less stressed) if you are not trying to make plans at the last minute.
- Start a new tradition. Having an activity that is consistent for your family (a Christmas movie, cookie decorating, a drive to see lights) will help bring a sense of normalcy.
- Stay flexible. Know that things may change, and that’s okay. Your kids will still be able to experience the holidays and make happy memories even if some life circumstances are unstable.
Well-Woman, Genetic Cancer Screening
Part of caring for yourself is getting your annual Well-Woman check-up. That appointment includes your health history, breast and pelvic exam, and your pap (if it’s time). “Health History” may sound so mundane, but it is SO important! Knowing your family history of cancer and sharing that with your provider is the first step in being proactive about staying healthy and cancer-free.
Obria proudly offers low cost Empower genetic cancer screening . Empower is a simple blood test that identifies risk for many common hereditary cancers, including breast and ovarian cancers. You will be given a short questionnaire when you check in for your Well-Woman visit. Please complete it carefully. Your provider will review this information with you during your appointment and let you know if Empower testing is recommended for you.